What has evolved into the Yorktown United Methodist Church began as Methodist meetings in the home of Jacob Van Houtan in 1876. Later, in 1884 a church was erected on donated property known as Church Place. The congregation continued to meet until 1924 when the church was no longer able to carry the financial burden and it closed.
In June of 1928, services began again and a period of revival followed. Services continued throughout the 30’s & 40’s and in 1952, a parish hall was added to the existing building. The years 1955 through 1961 were years of transition as the town of Yorktown demographics changed from rural to suburban. By 1963, the congregation was outgrowing the church building and plans were made for the new one that is now home to the congregation. The old church building was sold to Temple Beth Am and on March 18, 1967, we moved to our new home here at 2300 Crompond Road.
The YUMC community is notable for its warmth, devotion, and continued involvement of its longstanding membership, ability to draw and retain young families, support of a vibrant youth program, and a diverse makeup (e.g. age, economics, race, gender, just to name a few). There is a palpable sense of community and family; and a real peace in the body which is often commented on by visitors. Our congregation is spiritually diverse, in the sense that many of our active members today consist of life-long Methodists and believers who seek to live a Christ-like life.
YUMC’s style of worship can be described as blended; our congregation enjoys both traditional and non-traditional style worship (e.g. youth services, use of dramatic arts, welcoming guest artists and musicians). These services and programs are well attended and the feedback from our congregation and visitors has been extremely positive.
YUMC also has a large number of Tres Dias (interfaith spiritual community) alumni who are members of our church. Our church hosts several Tres Dias events and meetings annually.
Our congregation and Pastor (Rev. Gene Ott) move forward in ministry based upon our church’s core areas of mission and opportunity, which are defined as:
- Caring community – our mission & outreach programs consistently demonstrate we are truly the “hands and feet” of Christ. Additionally, we ensure visitors, new and seasoned members experience the warmth of YUMC.
- Youth / education – we have very active and strong Christian Education and Youth programs; both are actively involved in Mission & Outreach programs.
- Diversity – it is truly a blessing to have a rich variety in our membership; this is a joy we are proud of and celebrate in this Christian fellowship.
- Location / campus – we are located on 5 acres of land on the main thoroughfare in Yorktown Heights, NY (Route 202, across the street from the Yorktown Police Station); making us easily accessible to the community.
- Dedicated church leadership – based on your interests, we provide opportunities to our members to take the lead and/or participate in all aspects of the church.
We note with humility, however, that so much of what matters most in any church body is here at YUMC: a body of believers who are united in faith in Christ, concerned for one another, and share a belief that it has a vital role to play as a distinct faith community.
We are thankful to God for His many blessings expressed through YUMC’s membership, lay leadership and dedicated efforts of its staff under the guidance of an able spiritual leader in Pastor Gene.
We look forward to you worshiping with us, as this faith family strives to always be a bright beacon of Christ’s hope and love in this community and the world.
God’s Peace and Blessings
Come Grow With Us!