The United Methodist Church is a 12-million strong global church that opens hearts, opens doors and opens minds through active engagement with our world. The United Methodist Church remains the third-largest religious group in the United States.
John Wesley (our founder) and the early Methodists placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action. This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as “practical divinity” has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodism today and here at Yorktown United Methodist Church.
Like many Christian faiths, the Holy Word of God leads and guides us. Nonetheless, we are respectful of other denominations and faiths because we focus on things that bind us together rather than what divides us.
Our common Christian heritage, we value that:
- God loves us and wants us to live in harmony with Him. Sin breaks this harmony and by accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior, we are made whole again.
- God’s love lives in and works through us through the Holy Spirit.
- As Christians we enter the church through baptism and celebrate the presence of Jesus Christ through Holy Communion. These are the 2 sacraments celebrated in the United Methodist Church (UMC). In the UMC, our Communion Table is open to all who wish to receive this sacrament.
- And believe the Kingdom of God is here in the present and in the future to come.
- Scripture is the Word of God and contains everything we need for salvation.
- There is one church in Jesus Christ (where we can all express our unity).
“God has given gifts to each of you from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Manage them well so that God’s generosity can flow through you.” 1 Peter 4:10
Additionally, the UMC emphasizes distinctive beliefs that deepen our connection with God and one another:
|Themes of Grace
|Putting Our Faith into Action
|Prevenient Grace – God’s love is always there, even before we are aware of it. This leads us to realize our sin and desire to live in the way of God.||Faith and Good Works – these two go together. We respond to God’s love through Jesus Christ with our faith and love. We express this love through our sharing of our love with others.|
|Justification and Assurance – God reaches out to all. God offers us acceptance and pardon along with love. We can know we are saved through Jesus Christ. We can be sure of our forgiveness – either instantly or gradually.||Mission and Service – To be a Christian, there must be community. We are called to show our love to others in need.|
|Sanctification and Perfection – God’s “sanctifying” grace helps us to love God and one another more, helping us to be more perfect in love.||Nurture and Mission of the Church – The church helps nurture our faith and gives us the learning and ability to do mission and service in the world.|
If you are interested in learning more about the United Methodist Church’s values and beliefs, please contact the Church Office to schedule a meeting with our Pastor.
Yorktown United Methodist Church is a member of the New York / Connecticut District in the New York Annual Conference (NYAC) of the United Methodist Church.
The NYAC vision statement is “The New York Annual Conference through the grace of God embodies a beloved community of hope, building up a healthy Body of Christ, with heart-warmed United Methodists in mission for the transformation of the world.”
Come Grow With Us!