The Membership & Evangelism Committee (M&EC) is a vital part of a congregation’s ministry. As such, this Committee’s ongoing priority is to develop, support and promote activities that share in the love of Christ through connections with YUMC, the community and the United Methodist Church / New York Annual Conference.
This Committee’s work is focused in 3 areas: Member Pathway, Member Care and Christian Outreach:
Member Pathway – “Is YUMC the right church for you?” YUMC takes very seriously and believes in the promise of the United Methodist Church: “Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.” We have an open door policy and welcome all to this Christian fellowship. We have several programs that reach out to people in the community and connect them to YUMC from their first visit to eventually joining this body of faith and becoming involved members. We strongly believe, once anyone gets to know this congregation and the wonderful life-giving and life-changing programs we support, the answer to the question, “is YUMC the right church for you?” will be YES! Find more information about membership at YUMC at Becoming a Member page.
Member Care – develop programs / ministries, which ensure our congregation is connected to each other; offering consistent care and support during times of joy and difficulty. These fellowship opportunities bring our congregation together to foster, build, and deepen relationships between the membership, Pastor and community at large. Some of the programs coordinated by the M&EC to care for our congregation include:
- Prayer Ministry
- Publish celebrations, prayer needs and concerns weekly via worship bulletin, e-mail and monthly newsletter
- Cooking Ministry for parishioners in need
- Offering rides to individuals in need of transportation
- Weekly Fellowship / Coffee Hour (after worship)
- Membership Appreciation Brunch (April / May)
- Seasoned Saints Recognition Breakfast (May)
- Administer flu shots (October)
- Family Christmas Fellowship (November)
- Adult Christmas Fellowship (December)
Christian Outreach / Connectional Ministries – Through a variety of means, we invite the community to worship with us at YUMC. We are also “IN” the community. From a fellowship perspective, see below for a number of initiatives that bring the local community into our doors as well as take us out into the community:
- Participate in notable community events for example “Save a Life” program and Yorktown Annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, Yorktown Community Street Fair and “Faith in Action” community service / clean up day
- Administer flu shots in the Fall
- Tag and rummage sales
- Extensive promotion of special annual programs / services such as Advent, Black History Month Celebration, Holy Week, Mother’s Day Tea, Kick-off Sunday for Sunday School opening and concerts
- Advertise locally (i.e. The Yorktown Examiner, PennySaver Community, Westchester County Press and YorktownPatch.com)
Through the work of this Committee, we continue to provide support for programs that solidly strengthen the YUMC faith family, which is defined as our membership and visitors.
Come Fellowship With Us!